Fill out the form below for a free consultation

NO RECOVERY - NO FEE CALL FOR A CONSULTATION
845-383-1170

How Children Get Lead Poisoning

Lead Poisoning Lawyer

Children who live, attend day care or go to school in buildings that have lead paint in them can be exposed to airborne lead dust or lead paint that is exposed on surfaces. There are a number of reasons why lead poisoning in particularly common among children.

Lead poisoning causes irreversible health effects and there is no cure for lead poisoning. At very low levels of exposure in children, lead causes reduced IQ and attention span, hyperactivity, impaired growth, reading and learning disabilities, hearing loss, insomnia, and a range of other health, intellectual, and behavioral problems. At low levels, lead poisoning may not present identifiable symptoms, and a blood test is the only way to know if a child is poisoned. At very high levels, lead poisoning can cause mental retardation, coma, convulsions, and even death.

At the Law Offices of Charles N. Rock in Newburgh and the Bronx, our lead poisoning lawyer represents children throughout the northeast U.S. who have suffered injuries after being exposed to lead poisoning. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with experienced lead poisoning lawyer Charles Rock.

Understanding How Lead Dust Gets in Children’s Mouths

Until the 1960s, lead paint was considered the best kind of paint you could buy due to its shiny appearance. Many older buildings have been painted with lead at some point, and even if it has been painted over, it can still come to the surface. Reasons for this include:

  • Friction surfaces such as door wells, windowsills and window frames can suffer from deterioration of the top coats of paint, exposing the older lead paint.
  • Cracked and peeling paint can cause lead dust to come to the surface from lower levels.

Lead is a very heavy substance, so anytime lead dust gets into the air, it tends to fall to the ground and stay there. Children who crawl or play on the floor and then put their hands in their mouths can end up swallowing large amounts of lead over time.

Does Your Child Lick or Chew Painted Surfaces?

The other major way children get lead poisoning is licking or chewing on paint chips, windowsills, door frames and other surfaces that have paint on them. Lead tastes good, which is why many young children get in the habit of licking or chewing things that have lead on them.

Also, many children have a condition called pica where they are drawn to putting things in their mouth that aren’t food. In some situations, this condition is harmless, but when items with lead on them are available, it can cause lead poisoning.

If your child has gotten lead poisoning from any source, lead poisoning lawyer Charles Rock and our team can help you seek fair compensation from the property owner who is responsible. To discuss what we can do to pursue justice and money damages for your child, contact us today.