Ford Motor Company has recently recalled about 390,000 Ford Fiesta, Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ vehicles due to defective door latches. The problem with these latches is that they reportedly prevent vehicles’ doors from properly closing. This can result in doors swinging open while vehicles are in motion.
According to the recall announcement:
- The affected vehicles specifically include certain models of 2012 to 2014 Ford Fiestas; all model year 2013 Ford Fusions and Lincoln MKZs; and certain models of 2014 Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ vehicles.
- Ford has stated that, to date, it is only aware of two incidents in which the faulty door latches opened. In one case, the open door bounced back, hitting the driver; in the other, the unlatched door reportedly hit another car.
NHTSA Recommendations for Owners of Impacted Vehicles
In light of this recall announcement, regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are now warning owners of these vehicles to:
- Look out for recall notices in the mail.
- Respond to them ASAP to reduce their risk of injury.
In particular, NHTSA is recommended that the impacted owners:
- Check their vehicle’s VIN number with the NHTSA online tool to see if their vehicle is, in fact, affected.
- Always wear their seatbelts and encourage others in the vehicle to do the same; this could be crucial in the event a faulty door latch causes a door to open while a vehicle is moving.
- Do not drive if your vehicle’s doors will not latch shut. Also do not try to secure the door shut via a rope, having someone hold the door, etc. Instead, have the vehicle towed to a location where the faulty latches can be fixed.
- Pull over immediately if a door opens while you are driving. And, again, immediately have the vehicle towed to a location where the faulty latches can be fixed (rather than trying to drive the vehicle).
Kingston Personal Injury Attorney at Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C.
Have you or a loved one been injured by a faulty vehicle component – or by any defective or dangerous device?
If so, you can turn to Kingston Personal Injury Attorney Charles N. Rock for aggressive legal advocacy and effective help obtaining the compensation to which you may be entitled. For nearly 20 years, Charles N. Rock has been dedicated to holding individuals and corporations alike accountable for injuring his clients, and he will work tirelessly to help you secure the compensation and justice you likely deserve.