Accidents Involving Pedestrians
Every 7 minutes, a pedestrian in the U.S. is injured in a traffic accident, and every 2 or so hours, someone in the U.S. dies in a fatal pedestrian accident, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). What may be more tragic than the frequency at which pedestrian accidents occur in the U.S. are the facts that:
- Pedestrian accidents have been on the rise in recent years.
- Pedestrians make up about 14 percent of the people killed in traffic accidents in the U.S. each year.
- One out of every 5 fatal pedestrian accidents kills someone who is 65 or older.
- More than 1 in every 5 children (from 5 to 15 years old) who died in traffic accidents were pedestrians who were hit by cars.
At Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C., our Kingston pedestrian accident attorney is dedicated to helping the victims of these accidents:
- Hold negligent drivers accountable for hitting them
- Obtain the full amount of compensation they deserve.
Negligence and Pedestrian Accidents: A Closer Look
When negligence is a contributing factor to pedestrian accidents, it can specifically come in the form of:
- Drunk driving – Drivers who are intoxicated are much more likely to not see pedestrians and/or appropriately respond to avoid hitting them. According to the NHTSA, alcohol impairment is a factor in nearly half of all fatal pedestrian accidents.
- Distracted driving – When motorists fail to pay attention to the roads and the task of driving, the risk of pedestrian accidents increases significantly.
- Failing to comply with traffic laws – Simply failing to stop at stop signs or red lights, failing to yield the right-of-way and otherwise not abiding by traffic laws can also contribute to pedestrian accidents.
Here, we also want to note that:
- Pedestrians themselves can, sometimes, play a role in causing the accidents that hurt them. However, if another party involved in the accident was more negligent than the injured pedestrians, these injured people may still be entitled to some compensation.
- Poor roadway conditions can also contribute to pedestrian accidents. When this may be the case, the party responsible for the safety of the roads (like, for example, a city or county) may be held accountable in pedestrian accident lawsuits.
- When any type of negligence contributes to pedestrian accidents, injured people should consult with experienced Kingston Pedestrian Accident Attorney Charles N. Rock to find out more about their best options for financial recovery.
Kingston Pedestrian Accident Attorney at Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C.
Have you or someone you love been injured in a pedestrian accident? Or have you lost a loved one in a fatal pedestrian accident? If so, you can turn to Kingston Pedestrian Accident Attorney Charles N. Rock for aggressive legal advocacy and effective help obtaining the compensation to which you may be entitled.
For nearly 20 years, Charles N. Rock has been dedicated to holding individuals and corporations alike accountable for injuring his clients, and he will work tirelessly to help you secure the compensation and justice you deserve.