Labor and Birth Asphyxia
Labor and birth asphyxia occurs when a baby’s oxygen supply is cut off at any point during the labor and delivery process. Given that a constant flow of oxygen to the brain is necessary for healthy functioning, when this vital oxygen supply is cut off, babies can sustain serious, if not fatal, injuries.
What can be just as tragic as the impacts of labor and birth asphyxia on babies is the fact that, in some cases, the resulting injuries could have been preventable if not for the negligence of some medical professional and/or health care facility.
If your child has been harmed by labor and birth asphyxia and you need answers and experienced legal help, don’t hesitate to contact trusted Kingston Birth Injury Attorney Charles N. Rock. He is ready to be your advocate and help you with your financial recovery.
Causes of Labor and Birth Asphyxia
Labor and birth asphyxia can occur when:
- Mothers are deprived of oxygen and/or experience dangerously high or low blood pressure before or during the birthing process.
- Mothers and/or babies develop serious infections.
- The birthing process is complicated, drawn out and/or particularly difficult.
- The mothers’ placenta separates from the uterus too early.
- Umbilical prolapse occurs (i.e. the umbilical cord wraps around a baby’s neck, cutting off his air supply).
- Infants’ airways are underdeveloped or are blocked.
Medical negligence and malpractice can contribute to labor and birth asphyxia when medical professionals fail to:
- Recognize the signs of maternal and/or fetal distress or infections before or during the delivery process
- Promptly and properly treat such distress
- Perform C-sections when it’s clear they are needed
- Properly use forceps and/or vacuum extraction during delivery.
We want to point out here, however, that these are not the only ways in which medical negligence can lead to labor and birth asphyxia and, in turn, serious birth injuries. So, if you believe negligence may have led to birth asphyxia and your child’s injuries, contact Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C. for a professional case evaluation.
Impacts of Labor and Birth Asphyxia
While labor and birth asphyxia can have far reaching physical, mental and financial impacts when it causes serious birth injuries, in terms of the physical impacts on babies, birth asphyxia can result in:
- Cerebral palsy
- Brain damage and swelling
- Severe hemorrhaging
- Heart complications
Kingston Birth Injury and Medical Malpractice Attorney at Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C.
Did labor and/or birth asphyxia result in injuries to your child? If so, you can turn to Kingston Birth Injury Attorney Charles N. Rock for aggressive legal advocacy and effective help. For nearly 20 years, Charles N. Rock has been dedicated to helping his injured clients hold individuals and corporations alike accountable so that his clients are able to obtain the compensation and justice they deserve.
With Kingston Birth Injury Attorney Charles N. Rock on your side, you can rest assured that he will:
- Provide you with personalized legal representation
- Stand up to even the most intimidating, powerful opponents on your behalf
- Put all available and appropriate resources towards building you the strongest possible case
- Work relentlessly to help you obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Contact Us Today
To find out more about your best options for moving forward, contact us today to schedule a free, no obligations initial consultation. You can set up this meeting by calling (845) 383-1170 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page. Attorney Charles N. Rock can meet you at your home or a hospital, when necessary, to ensure that you have access the legal support and representation you need as soon as possible.
From our offices based in Kingston, New York, Charles N. Rock provides the highest quality legal services to clients throughout New York, including those in Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, New Paltz, Hyde Park, Ellenville, Saugerties, Ulster County, Dutchess County, and Orange County.