Drivers between the ages of 16 and 19 years old have the highest risk of being in a motor vehicle accident (when compared to motorists in any other age group), according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
While this may make sense considering the fact that teens have the least experience of all drivers on roads, taking a closer look at teen driver accident stats can reveal some of the preventable causes of these accidents.
Teen Driver Accidents by the Numbers
According to the NHTSA:
- Fatal car accidents caused by teen drivers are most likely to occur between 3 and 8 pm, and this risk remains high until midnight (particularly on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays).
- Speeding is a factor in about 35 percent of all fatal collisions involving a teen driver.
- Distracted driving plays a role in about 12 percent of all fatal teen driver collisions.
- When teen drivers have even just one other teen passenger in the vehicle with them, the risk of a crash increases by about 2.5 times.
- More than half of the teens killed in fatal motor vehicle accidents each year in the U.S. were not wearing seatbelts at the time of the collision.
- Nearly 1 in every 4 teen drivers killed in a fatal car crash was drunk at the time of the collision.
Preventing Teen Driver Collisions & Deaths
To reduce the incidence of fatal teen driver collisions, here’s what officials at the NHTSA recommend that the parents of these teens do:
- Talk to new teen drivers about the dangers of drinking and driving, distracted driving and other reckless behaviors behind the wheel.
- Reinforce the importance of always wearing seatbelts.
- Be the good driver they want their teens to be – in other words, set a good example.
Kingston Car Accident Attorney at Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C.
Have you or someone you love been injured in a car accident? If so, you can turn to Kingston Car Accident Attorney Charles N. Rock for aggressive legal advocacy and effective help obtaining the compensation to which you may be entitled.
For nearly 20 years, Charles N. Rock has been dedicated to holding individuals and corporations alike accountable for injuring his clients, and he will work tirelessly to help his clients secure the compensation and justice they deserve.