The truck accident lawsuit filed on behalf of Actor Tracy Morgan has recently been resolved via an “amicable settlement,” according to Walmart Stores, Inc. This case, which named Walmart as a defendant, was filed last year after a fatal truck accident involving a Walmart truck.
While the terms of the settlement agreement remain confidential, a statement from Morgan’s attorney has expressed that he and his family are “grateful that the case was resolved amicably.”
Driver Fatigue, Speeding Were Involved in the Truck Accident
The accident at the center of this now settled case occurred in June 2014 on the New Jersey Turnpike. According to police reports associated with the collision, Morgan and a few others were traveling as passengers in a limo bus that was struck by a Walmart truck. The accident resulted in a multiple-vehicle collision that ended up:
- Killing Comedian James McNair, a friend of Morgan who was traveling in the limo bus – The wrongful death lawsuit filed on behalf of McNair’s family was reportedly settled late last year for $10 million.
- Causing Morgan to sustain a head and brain injury, as well as other serious injuries
- Injuring at least two others who were also in the limo bus with Morgan.
During the investigation into this truck accident, the Walmart truck driver reportedly:
- Confessed to having been awake for 24 hours straight immediately prior to the collision – Driver fatigue studies have shown that, after about 24 hours without any sleep, motorists tend to have impairments similar to drivers who have BACs of 0.10 (which is over the legal limit for standard motorists and is DOUBLE the legal limit for commercial truckers).
- Was driving about 20 miles per hour over the speed limit, according to findings from the National Transportation Safety Board.
What are your thoughts about the settlement in this truck accident case? Share your comments and opinions with us on Facebook & Google+.
Kingston Truck Accident Attorney at Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C.
Have you or someone you love been injured in a truck accident? If so, you can turn to Charles N. Rock, injury attorney, for aggressive legal advocacy and effective help obtaining the compensation to which you may be entitled. For nearly 20 years, Charles N. Rock has been dedicated to holding individuals and corporations alike accountable for injuring his clients, and he will work tirelessly to help his clients secure the compensation and justice they deserve.
With Kingston Truck Accident Attorney Charles N. Rock on your side, you can rest assured that he will personally oversee your case, working relentlessly to help you bring it to a successful resolution.