warning sign with tire treads

More than 20,000 Americans are rushed to emergency rooms each year after sustaining carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, and many of these emergency cases arise in the wintertime.1 In fact, winter is generally the season when people’s risk of CO poisoning sharply increases due to the increased use of wood-burning and/or fuel-burning appliances for warmth.

This, in turn, typically means that:

  • People who live in colder regions of the nation may face the highest risks of CO poisoning.
  • Understanding the sources of CO and the symptoms of CO poisoning is essential to staying safe and protecting your loved ones this winter (and beyond).

Sources of CO in Your Home

CO is a product of combustion; so, anytime something burns, CO is emitted. Some of the most common sources of carbon monoxide in homes can include (but may not be limited to):

  • Fireplaces and wood stoves
  • Boilers and furnaces
  • Gas ovens and stoves
  • Water heaters
  • Dryers (for clothing)
  • Power tools and lawnmowers
  • Generators
  • Passenger vehicles.

It is important to point out that, while these items can produce CO as part of their normal function, CO emissions may increase if or when some of these products may be faulty, defective or in disrepair.

Preventing CO Poisoning

To minimize the potential for CO poisoning this winter, here are some things to do now before the extreme cold of winter sets in:

  • Get your major appliances, including the stove/oven/dryers, serviced before winter.
  • Get your home’s HVAC system serviced before winter.
  • Make sure that every level in your home has a CO detector. If so, replace the batteries in each detector if you have not done so within the past 12 months.
  • Check and clear out, as needed, the flues and air-intake passageways for your home.
  • Never burn anything in a fireplace or stove that is not properly vented to the outside.
  • Never use wood- or fuel-burning appliances right outside of your home’s window.
  • Never leave a motor vehicle running in a garage, even if the door is open.
  • Know the signs of CO poisoning, and seek immediate medical treatment if you or a loved one starts displaying these symptoms.

Contact a Kingston Personal Injury Attorney at Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C.

Have you or someone you love suffered CO poisoning? If so, you can turn to Kingston Personal Injury Attorney Charles N. Rock to find out more about your options for financial recovery.

To find out more about your best options for moving forward, contact us today to schedule a free, no obligations initial consultation. You can set up this meeting by calling (845) 383-1170 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page. To ensure that you have the legal support you need now, Attorney Charles N. Rock can meet you at your home or a hospital when needed.


1: According to the CDC