Driving in the winter can come with some extra risks. And, despite all of your efforts and plans to avoid these risks, you may end up becoming tripped up by one of them, causing you to be stuck on the roadside during less-than-favorable winter conditions.
If this happens, having a winter safety kit in your vehicle that you can rely on can be crucial. That’s because this kit can help you contact help, remain warm and safe, and get you through the incident with minimal hassles.
When it comes to your winter driving safety kit, here’s what’s important to know:
- What to put in the kit – The essentials that will be needed to either get your vehicle moving, to get you help and/or to keep you safe while you wait for help should be included in your kit. Specifically, these items should include (but may not be exclusive to):
- Tools, such as jumper cables, rope, snow chains, a hammer/screwdriver, duct tape, an ice scraper, a flashlight and batteries, etc.
- Communication and warning devices, such as an extra charged cellphone, an extra cellphone charge, flares, cones, etc.
- Things to stay warm and nourished, such as blankets, socks, hats, gloves, water and nonperishable food items
- Other things, such as a radio, magazines or cards (to stay occupied), etc.
- Where to keep the kit – Figure out if you can access your vehicle’s trunk from the cabin. If you can, keep the kit in the trunk. If you can’t, then keep the kit somewhere in the cabin. This is important because trunk locks can freeze over in the cold, preventing you from getting to these important resources when you need them.
- Creating multiple kits – If you or others in your family regularly drive more than one vehicle, put together a winter safety kit for every vehicle used as a daily driver. This will prevent you from having to move the kit from vehicle to vehicle (and it’ll also avoid mishaps like forgetting to move the kit before a longer winter road trip).
Contact a Kingston Car Accident Attorney at Charles N. Rock, P.L.L.C.
Have you or someone you love been injured in a traffic crash? If so, you can turn to Kingston Car Accident Attorney Charles N. Rock for aggressive legal advocacy and effective help obtaining the compensation to which you may be entitled.
To find out more about your best options for moving forward, contact us today to schedule a free, no obligations initial consultation. You can set up this meeting by calling (845) 383-1170 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page. To ensure that you have the legal support you need now, Attorney Charles N. Rock can meet you at your home or a hospital when needed.
From our offices based in Kingston, New York, Charles N. Rock provides the highest quality legal services to clients throughout New York, including those in Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, New Paltz, Hyde Park, Ellenville, Saugerties, Ulster County, Dutchess County, and Orange County.